Monday, December 10, 2007

It's the 21st Century. Where the Hell's My Flying Car?

Avery Brooks demanded to know the answer to that in a commercial at the beginning of the decade, and I suppose it's a good question. After all, we've been promised them for a long, long time.



In the late 1920s/early 1930s, the Federal government shelled out money for a car called the "Triphibian." It was supposed to be able drive on roads, fly, and travel on water.


Not very pretty is it? And nobody seems to know if it worked or not, as it promptly burst into flames the first time it was tested and the driver/inventor had to be pulled from the flaming mass by the photographers.

More on the other side.


In the 1930s we were promised the "gyrocar."



Of course, right now, we have the Moller Skycar, which we're promised will be available for sale "any day now." There's also the Terrafugia Transition which is supposed to be ready at about the same time as the Moller (i.e. never). And while they might be nice and all, I have to say that, if I'm going to have a "flying car" type of vehicle, they're really not what I want. No, what I want is a:

Flying Tank!!!!




Can you imagine the fun you could have with one of those? Spot some jerk illegally parked in the Forbidden Handicapped Zone and "explain it to him" as to why he's wrong! Are you "Employee of the Month" but some jerk's taken your spot? Let him know you're not happy with a quick blast from your cannon!

If I can't have a flying tank, can I at least have this flying spotter "bike"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In 1981 I stumbled into a little "museum" in downtown Coulee City, Wa. There was a little old man in there along with books, pamphlets, pictures explaining his legacy as an inventor. It was all a little strange. My memory is blank on just what exhibits were present. Did pick up a pamphlet or two and I recognized the picture of the Triphibian as being one of his inventions. The materials I picked up there are long lost but I recall something claiming that Constantinos Vlachos was a survivor of the Titanic sinking. Yet I have not seen his name on any survivors lists. Yup all very strange stuff. btw Vlachos claimed that the explosion and fire were the result of sabotage.
jh

Brian said...

Thanks for the info. I've got other things on Constantinos that I'll be posting in the future. He created a lot of bizarre things, and off the top of my head, I can't think of any of them that caught on.